Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Examining Differences



I too am obviously Caucasian and, also obviously, from Slovenia. I lived in Ljubljana for most of my life until I moved three and a half years ago. I still live close to Ljubljana, but just far enough that commuting takes a lot of time (I need approximately an hour and a half to get to the faculty). Despite the travel time, I am very happy that I moved because I feel like Ljubljana is filled with people who are always in a rush and never have time to just relax and not stress about everything, as opposed to my new home where more people take the time to smile at strangers, wish them a nice day or have an occasional chat with them.

I have two brothers and I am the middle child, so I am proud to say that I am both the baby sister and the older sister. Being the middle child has also pushed me into sometimes having to play the role of the middle man. Or, well, woman. I think that as a future teacher, feeling comfortable in this role will help me out quite a lot.

I look forward to being a teacher, but I do not want that to be the only thing I ever do. I want to travel, live abroad, get another degree, be a writer, be a skiing teacher and learn how to dive so that I could explore the ocean. And these are just some of the things I wish to do. Will I manage to do them all? Who knows? We will wait and see.

Considering all of this (and much more that cannot all be written here) I identify myself with a lot of subgroups. I am a writer, a traveler, a teacher, a skier, a dog lover, a baby sister, an older sister, a linguist, a book worm, a runner, a skater, a dancer, a translator, a girlfriend, an actress, a singer, a coffee lover, a happy and positive person and so much more. The list could go on for many many pages. But if I were asked to describe myself with one word? I could not do it.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your commuting and experience with people in Ljubljana who are friendly but constantly in a hurry.
    Finally I know someone who teaches skiing and can teach me in exchange for a few coffees. :)
    You are right the list could go on and on because you sound like an interesting, friendly and awesome person who will succeed at anything you are faced with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are have many facets to our identity, and your list shows just some of your roles. Though they are multiple, together they form a unique portrait - like a mosaic that is made up of many pieces but ultimately forms one picture.

    ReplyDelete