Thursday, April 2, 2015

Examining Differences

The one thing I perhaps like most about my identity is that I am someone who tries to not stubbornly resist changes but instead accepts them, for better or for worse. I would say I strongly believe that the only constant in life is change and I try not to fear it. Fear of change makes you old, you know.

Connected to that is what I consider my drastic step of changing my style completely a few months ago. My childhood friends, who have ever only known me as black-wearing, long-haired, shy little thing, are confused now that every time they see me, I'm sporting a different hairstyle and wear a colourful dress, and have a new story to tell.

My background is what some would call boring, but every superhero needs their origin story to be told. I come from a little village with some nasty inhabitants in the Gorenjska region. I grew up in a fairly happy family with a mum, a dad, a little brother, a grandmother, and a grandfather. As most of Slovenes I also have some Catholic background.

As a little bonus I would like to say I have been thinking a lot about this week's lecture on modern American fiction by professor Krevel. Some of my colleagues know it was discussed, how every individual only has a few important big issues they really care about. I was able to identify three issues that I care about  and are also an important part of my identity.


1 comment:

  1. I like that you are able to tie class themes together....we are the protagonists in our own life story, so fiction can teach us about ourselves, and remind us that the choices we make each day, make up our lives.
    So, you are committed to change, reinvention, and family. Are those your key issues?

    ReplyDelete